Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Home From Camp


I don’t know exactly how it happened, but I’ve been going to summer camp for the last 13 years. I am well into adult hood, way too old to be there, but some how I am drawn in. I added it all up and I have been to camp about 115 times in 13 years. That’s in weeks… yes... 115 Monday through Friday weeks. That figures out to be 575 days. A full year and seven months. That’s a lot of camp. A lot of guitar strings. A lot of revolving door band members. Many songs learned and forgotten, many written and forgotten, some remembered and forgotten again.
I have never counted all this up before, but I wonder if it’s being wearier than ever of sleeping on college dorm beds.
As I look back over these past 8 weeks of this summer, I still have the same feeling as I did when I led worship for my first camps out in Colorado and West Virginia. I loved every minute of it. There are few things that give my spirit a lift more than seeing hundreds of people sing songs to our great God.
So, as I always do at this time of the year, I ask myself… was it worth it? Was it worth all this windshield time in my van? Did I do something worthwhile? Is there eternal value in this ministry?
Well, I got to watch over 400 students obey the gospel of Christ this summer and who knows how many more God will bring to life by the seeds we planted. I can’t get enough of that and it’s worth every day I’ve invested. It’s not for me to wish I were somewhere else or get cynical because I am old and still going to camp. Jesus calls me where he wants me to go. If I go elsewhere before God calls me, I’d be arrogantly rushing into places I don’t belong. Who needs another arrogant musician nosing his way into where he does not belong?

In case it's forgotten, below is a set list from one of the weeks of camp. (*= original composition)

Monday PM
The Sound*
Everlasting God
Your Grace is Enough
Clinging To The Cross
Jesus Paid It All
Glorious Impossible*

Tuesday AM
Not To Us
Let The World See*
Unfailing Love*

Tuesday PM
You Never Let Go
Best Of Me*
Mighty To Save
Trust In You*
Amazed By You*
King Of My Soul*


Wednesday AM
Mighty To Save
Glorious Impossible*
You Never Let Go

Wednesday PM
Not to Us
The Sound*
King Of My Soul*
Honestly*
Ready To Be Restored*
Clinging To The Cross

Thursday AM
Your Grace Is Enough
Here I Go*
Unfailing Love*

Thursday PM
Best Of Me*
Everlasting God
Thanks*
Ready To Be Restored*
Glorious Impossible*
Trust In You*

Friday AM
Mighty To Save
The Sound*
Let The World See*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carl! I had the privilege of attending crossroads camp this year for the first time, and I just wanted to let you know that your music had a huge impact on me. The words and the sincerity in your voice really spoke to me. You truly are a blessing to everyone who hears, and I cant wait to hear you again this saturday at the DRM worship rally!

Unknown said...

Hey Carl, My staff and I (from Next Level Church, Charlotte) were at week #1 at Cross Roads this year. Just wanted to let you know that when we got back our students were demanding us to play your original tunes during worship. Thanks for all your hard work and professionalism.

Anonymous said...

Carl,I'm glad to know it is worth it for you and your family. I attend camp for the first in 20 something years (as a consoler of corse). You are a great musician and worship leader. The thing that stood out the most was when you spoke of your own fears concerning your ability to do what God ask of you. Thank You. Thank You for being so humble and real.

Chuck Denton said...

Hey Carl, you are never too old for camp. I'm older than you and have been going to camp at least 30 of my 38 years. I love it and our group from West Side in Lake Wales, Fl loved your music and testimony during Week#4 at Crossroads. We have sung your music in youth worship times and sung "Glorious Impossible" twice for our church. Our older people loved it too. I want to encoruage you to continue following God, especially to camp. I hope that at some point we can get you to central Florida.

Taylor614ce said...

Carl, Please tell me where I can buy a copy of your "Breaking The Silence" CD. I went to your website, but it wouldn't let me order it. my email is: emsdir@bellsouth.net
P.S. Love your music Be Blessed!! and NO you are not too old to go to camp. I went when I was 42. Thank God For your calling