Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Leaving Something Behind


My church has four worship leaders: Me, Jason Ingram, Ronnie Freeman and Jeromy Diebler. We’ve been eating breakfast together on Tuesdays at Cracker Barrell. We like to talk and get to know eachother better. A Few weeks ago, Jeromy brought all of us a copy of a devotional book that had become special to him: “A Guide to Prayer For All God’s People”. He told us about the book and that it had brought some excellent perspective into his devotional life. I loved that getting that book because, more than ever, receiving a book means my life is about to change and my mind is going to grow. I love it! This book, however, came with an extra special treat.
When we got up to leave the resteraunt, a lady from the table next to ours stood up, got our attention and pointed to the copies of our new book. She was beaming with a huge smile. You could tell that she had a secret and she could not wait to let it out. She took the copy of the book from my hands and said, “I heard you guys talking about this book and I just wanted you to know that my Dad is the author.” She was glowing, proud and probably filled with same emotions that all of us have when we are unexpectedly surprised with joy. That experience marked me. It made me crave to put that same expression on the face of my own sons. How many memories could I make by being a man my sons will love. How many more could I make by living a life that leaves a treasure behind. A treasure of the Kingdom , an incorruptible, eternal inheritance. I want to live that kind of life. I want my kids to hear about my contribution to God’s people from strangers. I want them to be proud of me. I want your kids to be proud of you. Let’s live so that can happen. Live to leave something behind.
And finally, for Mr. Ruben P. Job: Thanks for writing your exceptional book of prayer and if you were wondering, your daughter is really, really proud of you.

Get your copy of Mr. Job's book here

2 comments:

Alberta Wray said...

Your kids are blessed to have you and Heather as parents!! Someday, your children will be able to verbalize all of that and much more, Carl. But for now, we can verbalize how privileged we are to be children of the King. Bless you in your ministry and writing.

Sheila said...

I thank God for parents like you all and pray for my own sons and daughters-in-law to leave that kind of heritage for their kids.